Saturday, May 22, 2010

The one where the nightmare quest continues...

So the nightmare quest continues. I really wasn't trying Thursday night to cause nightmares. For one thing, the kids would be getting home late and for another, frankly, I'd run out of ideas for the moment. But due to a snafu or miscommunication between Hubby and I, he and I didn't end up eating dinner until about 9 that night. Leftover pork chops and corn on the cob. And guess what? No, I didn't have a nightmare, but I did have a bad dream. What's the difference Spot? I hear you asking me. I consider a nightmare to be one where you are absolutely terrified. You wake up disoriented, panicked, heart pounding, clammy sweat, your body poised for fight or flight. That is a nightmare. And I haven't had one in months. A bad dream is simply scary while you're in it, but you wake up with the full realization that it was a dream. And roll over and go back to sleep.

I had a bad dream. A weird bad dream, no less. I was around thirteen. I lived in a huge house with my parents (who oddly enough, were my actual parents, though younger than they are now), and a lot of little brothers and sisters. (which is weird because I only have one sister). Anyway, the parents had a friend over, a male (not someone from my real life, total stranger). He was obviously a close friend of my parents but I got a totally creepy vibe from him and didn't want to be around him. So I left the room they were in watching TV and started down a long hallway. The friend followed me. Then he started making suggestive comments and threats about how he was going to come back when everyone was asleep. I was very scared in the dream! As soon as he left I locked the door, and then ran through the house locking windows and doors. The house got bigger and bigger and more maze like and I was frantically trying to get everything locked up to protect myself and my siblings, knowing I was only seconds ahead of this guy every time (because I could see his face looking in the windows), and that he was getting increasingly angrier with every lock he encountered. And then I woke up, shrugged and went back to sleep. I'm sure a psychiatrist would have a field day with this one! But I'm blaming the pork chops.

Dreaming is a funny thing isn't it? I know some people say that they can have lucid dreams where they control what's happening. I have never had one of those. I do have a weird recurring dream that I have every couple of years. I wake up crying and missing someone I've never even met. I have a friend who says it must be a past life memory. And isn't that an intriguing thought??

So far, all I've gotten from my quest is one bad/weird dream and a whole lot of sleep deprivation. Eating before bed is definitely not conducive to a good night's sleep. And when four people in the same household are suffering, it gets a little cranky. So I think we'll try again maybe one night next week.

Oh, and I did get a story idea from this experiment. And since I needed one for a competition, I guess at least the experiment wasn't a total fail.

tell me your dreams,
♥Spot

11 comments:

  1. It was a success! I need an idea. Gotta get a pen in my hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a nightmare! I. Had. A. Nightmare! I drank soda (I snuck one) before bed, and I had a full-on, freaky-freakified nightmare. I don't remember what it was about. I do remember waking up, still terrified, and it took me nearly two minutes to realize that I was actually awake. (And...I may or may not have had to sleep with the light on for an hour.)

    I don't know if it was caused by the soda. That may require me to drink soda again. But I am not sure I want to have a nightmare like that again!

    M.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa, weird-o! Especially like *not* waking up part or realizing it. Ahhh!

    I have very detailed dreams, normally scary. Demons, monsters, alien invasions, and even zombies. Some are recurring (alien invasion and the zombies). I should probably write horror who knows? HA.

    I had a dream about a month ago where my supervisor had a nose bleed. Blood poured out down her shirt she was horrified. I offered my handy dandy saline nose spray for her troubles (HUH?). When I woke up, I thought why would I do that? It's not like I could use it again after she got it all bloody. LOL.

    I looked up what nosebleeds meant and it was like change or life flowing out. I thought, well, I am leaving that job so it makes sense. Leaving - flowing out.

    I found out yesterday my old supervisor from the dream with the bloody nose has breast cancer.

    I don't know about you, but that gives me the willies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dreams are so weird. I find if I eat late I have weird dreams, not necessarily night mares.

    I have an award for you on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lot of my dreams consist of me pigging out in a land of chocolate. Weird.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not sure what does cause the dreams we have---Pork would do it for me so we will blame that one on the pork chops.

    I have had one in the past several times, I always wake up hearing a noise that just scares the H#@* out of me and the louder it gets the more scared I get, it's like I am awake but can't move or do anything about it, I have actually felt like if I could only shake Cindy she would wake up and I could move, Ever try to shake someone when you can't move :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dreams are strange...most of my nightmares consist of me running from someone who is trying to kill me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to have this really weird dream when I was little that a monster locked me in the closet. (I know, I know, but it was really scary then...), and I could actually control what I was doing in it. Weird, right? But I don't know how.

    I'm going to try the sugar befor bed = nightmares thing tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  9. In my book THAT was a nightmare! I would never have been able to shrug that off and go back to sleep!

    When I was a kid, I would have this one recurring nightmare (well it was scary for me as a kid). A flying witch would be chasing me and my friend through the small dark alleys (in the middle of the night, while it was raining) of an abandoned city.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha, most of my dreams are so weird my sub conscious deletes them from memory before I'm fully awake. Imagine, dreams so weird even MY subconscious deletes them o_O

    ReplyDelete