Saturday, October 22, 2011

The one where I get angry...

Yep. I'm angry today. I'm angry at my husband. Why? Because I love him, that's why. But he doesn't listen very well, so I'm writing him this letter. And I know he'll see it because he reads my blog.

Dear Mike,

I love you. Do you know that? You should after what we've been through the last year and a half,  the good, the bad and the hideously ugly. I've been right by your side, through it all. Sometimes for days on end.

I can't possibly let you know exactly what it was like to sit by your bedside in the ICU after the accident and wait and worry and make deals with the Universe in my head for your survival. I can't tell you what it was like to try to stay awake, convinced that something bad would happen if I closed my eyes, if for a second, I lost my focus.

I can't tell you what it was like, even after you were doing better, to be afraid to leave the hospital, to leave your side. No one told you how I'd begin to shake if I was gone longer than a half an hour. How great the need to keep you in my sight was.

I can't tell you how hard it was for me to let you out of my sight once we were back home. How scared I was to let you drive anywhere by yourself. How I sat there, staring at my phone, waiting for the text saying that you made it safely.

But I did it. You pulled through and so did I. And gradually, I learned to let it go, that I didn't have to be constantly vigilant, that it was going to be OK.

Then you got really sick in February and we did the hospital thing again. Luckily, it was over quickly and you were better, nearly overnight. And you were cranky. But I stayed there with you and I put up with your crankiness, because I was still so grateful that you were alive. Ok. Little speed bump. No big deal.

Then last weekend you got sick again. At first, I wasn't really that worried. I hated that you were feeling so bad, but I figured a night in the hospital, IV fluids and antibiotics and you'd perk up. Just like February. But it didn't happen that way. You ran a high temp for 3 days. Your white count shot up. The doctor was stumped. I was petrified.

I can't tell you what it was like to be there, again. Doing the bedside vigil and wondering if you were going to kick this thing or if it was something much more serious. You were asleep more than you were awake and you weren't real clear when you were awake. But you never knew how scared I was, because I didn't show it. And when you began to worry, I'm the one who curled up in the bed beside you and gave you a pep talk.

And you pulled through again. And you began to get sarcastic and I knew you were getting better. We came home yesterday and you slept mostly. The kids remarked that when you were awake, you were grumpy. Tell me about it. And yet, I didn't hold it against you.

So why am I angry? Because after all of this, you still refuse to take care of yourself. The doctor said that you still have the pneumonia and you were supposed to go home and rest. I'm pretty sure that didn't mean going immediately back to work this morning. Remember last night when you got up, walked from the living room to the kitchen and had a coughing fit so bad, you doubled over? Remember how you had to sleep sitting up in the chair last night, because you couldn't breathe?

And yet, this morning, you were gone before I got up and didnt' come back in to take a break for four hours. Does that sound like resting to you? Really? And so I fussed at you. And you said you hadn't done anything physical except drive around in your truck and talk to people.

Well, driving isn't resting. And talking to people is what got you into this in the first place. People have a million germs and I know for a fact that you weren't wearing a mask like you should have been. I'm pretty sure you didn't have any hand sanitizer either. You're immune system is already in a seriously weakened state and yet you insist on pushing your luck. So we had words. And I told you that next week when you're in the hospital again, I'm not going to be there. Because its not fair. Its not fair to put me in that position when you can avoid it. I told you I'd hire a babysitter to sit with you. Its an idle threat because you know I wouldn't do that. You know I'll be there.

You insisted that you'd be fine. I wondered when you developed psychic powers and the ability to know the future and why you hadn't shared that with me before. Maybe you will be fine. I hope so.

But for now, as I sit in my office, listening to you cough up a lung in the living room, I'm a tad on the skeptical side. So I'm not speaking to you. Because its not fair to yourself, its not fair to your job, and its damn sure not fair to the people who love you, to take risks with your health. But you don't listen. So I'm saving my breath.

Love,
Me

Sorry for the rant peeps, but sometimes people need to know what you're really thinking.
♥Spot

4 comments:

  1. Oh Spot. How we love our men. And how irritated we get when they don't do what we know (and they know) they should be doing to keep themselves healthy. It's mind-numbingly irritating and simultaneously petrifying. Hopefully they'll figure it out. At some point. Maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Stacey. I am so sorry that you are going through this crap yet again. You have had a hard year and a half and it's NOT fair for him to not take your feelings into consideration when he endangers his health.

    I think men, as a species in general, tend to think "they can handle it" when it comes to their health and they don't. And they don't think about how it affects those that love them.

    MIKE... if you read this blog you most likely read the comments.... LISTEN TO YOUR WIFE...believe it or not, we all love YOU too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, honey. Your frustration climbs right through the page. It's not fair that someone can be reckless with their health and then have the expectation that we'll be there to endure the fallout from that recklessness.

    I'm sure that Mike's not seeing it this way. I'm sure that (like most GUYS) he doesn't want to look weak...or coddled...or fragile. But I'm sure he'd agree that the diabetic who consumes a whole cake is asking for trouble, right?

    I hope he listens...for everyone's sake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies. I think that we've all come to the same conclusion- he's a man. And while that should be no excuse, it is. They just think differently than us. (Obviously)

    He did read the blog and he did apologize. He also spent the rest of the day resting in the recliner, so I guess I'll let it slide.

    ♥Spot

    ReplyDelete